The experiences of a software developer as he wades through the dynamic world of technology. Discussions of new industry developments and current technologies he finds himself wrapped up in.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

We Have Lift-off

Information Technology has been a huge part of my life for sometime now. Since I was in grade school I was programming, and I guess it was only natural that this would blossom into a career. I'm thirty-one now and have been in the IT business professionally for about seven years. My career choice saw me move halfway across the country and back to where I grew up, letting me experience different parts of the country, as well as gain valuable technical skills.

To start my career off, I was part of the IT department of a large insurance / financial company, and I have recently joined a small, cutting edge software company. Needless to say, I have seen two extremes of the different IT work environments. I think testing out the waters of two different types of companies will help me make the final decision on what type of company I would like to spend the rest of my career with. At this point, it's a tough decision since both environments have so many different advantages.

Anway, I didn't want to get into my life story, but just wanted to start off with a brief background of myself. In terms of the type of technical work I've done, I've had the privilege of experiencing a wide spectrum of different technologies. I started off on a development team building a fat client using Java Swing. I then moved on to building distributed systems leveraging J2EE and web services. I now find myself wrapped up in the .NET world, heavily focussing on data syndication. In the mean-time, I always find time to do a little consulting side projects. These are usually J2EE web systems.

I'm lucky to say that I wake up everyday eager to get to the office to see what awaits me. I see no sign of slowing down anytime soon, and if that time every comes, I guess it's time to find a new career. Be sure to check back (or better yet, subscribe to this feed) for my upcoming technical articles.

Take care.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home